Whenever we shop we buy our waste, mostly in packaging so the best way to minimise waste is to avoid buying certain things in the first place. Stop and think before you shop and make a list and stick to it.
- When you reduce the amount of waste you throw away, you save landfill space, raw materials and natural resources such as energy and water and save money. We can easily reduce the amount of waste we produce using some simple steps:
- Always take your own shopping bags and say 'no' to plastic bags at the supermarkets.
- Choose products with minimal packaging, and avoid individually wrapped products.
- Buy products in reusable, refillable or recyclable packaging.
- Avoid packaging fruit and vegetables in plastic bags.
- Avoid single use plastic items.
- Buy long lasting, quality kitchen utensils, household products and clothing.
- Mend broken appliances and furniture where possible.
- Reduce packaging by buying in bulk.